Arms takes its name from the Earl of Scarbrough, the local
landowner, whose seat is at nearby Sandbeck Park. Although the
title was created in
1692 for Richard Lumley, 2nd Viscount Lumley, the inn
was not known by this name until sometime between 1822
It was originally called the Black Swan,
and one of the earliest references can be found in the
Tickhill Enclosure Minute Book: on June 13, 1765,
Commissioners appointed to implement the Enclosure Act, ‘met for
the first time at the public house of Anne Barker, the Black
Swan’; this was to be the first of several meetings there.
Further references to the name appear in the Doncaster
Gazette, these relate to sales of land and property
taking place at the Black Swan later in the century. The
innkeeper in the early years of the 19th century was
Thomas Sissons, who is described in Baines’ 1822 Directory as a
‘victualler & tailor’. What instigated the change of name to the
Scarbrough Arms in the early 1830s is not known.
In the mid 19th century, both
the census and local trade directories describe the licensee,
John Sharp, as ‘innkeeper and farmer’ – the 1848 Tickhill Tithe
Award records the Earl of Scarbrough as the landowner: Sharp,
therefore, appears to have been a tenant farmer. Around this
time, the bi-annual Rent Day Dinners were held in the Scarbrough
Arms; these were ‘social’ occasions where landlords and their
agents would meet their tenant farmers to discuss problems, but
also more importantly to collect their rent.
Situated on Sunderland Street, which was
once part of the Bawtry to Tinsley Turnpike Road, the inn’s
business would have flourished in the late 18th and
early 19th centuries, when coach travel was at its
peak. In 1862, however, a survey of Lord Scarbrough’s estates
referred to the Scarbrough Arms and farm as in a state of
‘dreadful repair’; this was largely due to a decrease in regular
use by coach travellers and cattle drovers, as the railways
gained in popularity. The 20th century saw a revival
in trade, with the arrival of motorised transport in the form of
the charabanc, bus and motor car.
20th century landlords have
included Robert Barham, Messrs. R W Brown, and R Watkinson, Mrs
Fred Saxton, Mrs George Handy and George William Handy.