The Millstone stands on the corner of
Westgate and Dam Road, only a few hundred yards away from the
medieval Tickhill Mill, whose circular stones, used for grinding
corn, gave the inn its name.
Tom Beastall, in his 1995 publication:
Tickhill: Portrait of and English country town makes
reference to the Millstone in 1803 as ‘a homestead and inn of a
farm of 40 acres’, the owner of the properties was Mary Guest
and the innkeeper, Joseph Tomlinson. For the next 50 years, the
Millstone operated as both farm and inn, and for most of that
time John Sidwell served as farmer and innkeeper.
John Sidwell was also credited with brewing
‘good beer, made from hops, malt and dam water’; the malt would
almost certainly have come from a maltkin nearby on Dam Road,
which was operated by maltster, George Sidwell, who may have
been John’s brother.
Like many other inns in Tickhill, the
Millstone was also a venue for public activities. In the early
19th century, parcel carriers’, James Hibberson &
William Crampton operated a regular service from the inn to
Gainsborough and Sheffield. A similar service was still
operating decades later when Kelly’s 1889 Directory describes
the innkeeper, Francis Asher as a ‘carrier’; following his
death, his wife Susanna ran the inn until the end of the
The Millstone prospered in the early years
of the 20th century under the management of Godfrey Emerson; in
1908, it was completely rebuilt in the mock-Tudor style.
Evidence submitted in support of an application for a renewal of
licence at the Licensing Sessions that year, stated that ‘There
was a good deal of stabling . …. it [the Millstone] was well
conducted, and a good deal of catering was done for customers.
Since April 15th 1906 to Jan 25th 1907
……..1,889 meals were served’.
It was modernised in 1955 and several years
later, Nora and Sydney Mills took over as joint landlords.
Further refurbishment took place in 1984, and once again the
mock-Tudor style of 1908 was retained.