John Jenkinson established
his grocery and drapery business in the mid to late-1820s in
premises on Northgate; by the 1830s, local trade directories
show the business had moved to Market Place and was under the
ownership of Thomas Jenkinson: it is possible that Thomas may
have been Johnís son, but this has not been confirmed.
Thomas appears to have
retired to Sunderland Street in the late 1860s, and the business
was taken over by his younger son George; trade must have been
good, as the 1881 census shows he had employed William
Baddiley and Charles Druton as apprentice grocers. By the turn
of the 20th century, his younger son Thomas was
working as a grocer & draperís assistant; on Georgeís death in
1909, the business passed to Thomas, who continued to trade on
Market Place until the 1940s; during the 1930s he combined the
roles of grocer and draper with that of insurance agent.