Tickhill had its fair share of large,
imposing houses: some built in the Georgian style in the late 18th
and early 19th centuries, together with others in the
later Victorian period. Many still exist today (2009) and have
‘Listed Building’ status.
The occupants of these impressive
residences were the gentry – people
of gentle birth, good breeding, or high social position ranking
just below the nobility. They lived a very different lifestyle
to the majority of the population, enjoying a privileged,
comfortable existence, with a range of live-in servants to
attend to their everyday needs.
Some of the most
significant buildings were The Friary, The Vicarage, Lindrick
House, Rock House and Sand Rock House and detailed information,
including that of their occupants, can be found by clicking on
the links below:-
interesting houses were the following:
Sunderland House is a Grade ll listed, two
storey, late-18th century Georgian mansion, on the
north side of Sunderland Street. A smaller property, Sunderland
Cottage is situated a short distance away in the grounds. 19th
century occupants have included Messrs. Hugh Park and George
Marriott, and from c1880, Liverpool born, Captain Grenfell
Todd-Naylor, a serving officer in the Militia, until his
retirement with the rank of Major about ten years later.
Following his death in 1916, his widow Annie continued to live
there until her death in 1935.
Another notable house was St Leonard’s,
which stood adjacent to St Leonard’s Hospital on Northgate. Very
little is documented about its origins; one of the earliest
references can be found on the 1848 Tickhill Tithe Award and
Map, when the landowner is shown James Burbeary and the occupier
as Henry Otter. The house was rebuilt in the 1870s and by the
end of the decade the occupants were Joshua Gladwyn Jebb, his
wife, Alice and their five children, together with nine
servants; he is described in the 1881 census as living on
‘Income from land and interest money’. In the 1930s, the house
appears to have been divided into two; the 1927 Kelly’s
Directory lists Mrs Baxter as resident at ‘1 St Leonard’s’ and
the parents of Maurice Preece the owner of Tickhill Garage on
Castlegate, at ‘No. 2 ‘. The house was demolished c1970.
Brook Villa is a large, impressive property
at Lindrick. A Grade II listed, early 19th century
house. It is shown on the 1848 Tithe Award, the landowner is a
Thomas Stanuel, but the house is described as ‘uninhabited’. The
first named reference to the property does not appear until the
1881 census, when Benjamin Jarvis, a retired farmer from
Scarcliffe in Derbyshire was resident with his family. Later
residents have included Messrs. L. B. Weldon, T. Turner, T. Fox
and Henry Pickering.
Roland (or Rowland) House is a Grade ll,
two-storey 18th century house with an adjoining 17th
century single storey wing. It is located between Dam Road and
the Mill Dam adjacent to Roland’s Bridge over the Dam weir. The
1848 Tithe Award describes the property as a house, homestead
and gardens; William Carver is recorded as the ‘landowner’, and
maltster, George Sidwell, the ‘occupier’. There are no
references to Roland House by name until the early 20th
century, when local directories refer to the occupant as George
Weardale is a large, red-bricked
late-Victorian house on Northgate, which is thought to have been
built in the late 1880s for Matthew and Charlotte Curtis. In
1887, Matthew had just completed his third term as Mayor of
Manchester, but sadly died later that year in Cheshire. His
widow, Charlotte moved to Tickhill and resided at Weardale for
almost another 30 years; subsequent residents, pre-1939,
included Messrs. A Ridgill and Edwin Robinson. Today (2009) it
is split into two houses.
Amongst the larger Grade ll properties are
The Hollies (The Vicarage since 1913), Tickhill House and
Carlton House on Sunderland Street, Westgate House on Dam Road,
Westgate Lodge and Westfield House on Westgate, together with
Manor House and Northgate House on Northgate. All were built
before 1848. There are also numerous smaller Grade ll ‘listed
buildings’ in Tickhill whose architectural features are of
Whilst not acquiring ‘listed’ status, there
are, nevertheless, several other older houses worth a mention;
the following were all built pre-1848 as they are listed in the
Tithe Award: The Hawthorns on the corner of Westgate and Worksop
Road, Lindrick Villa, Sunnyside (formerly Lindrick Cottage), and
Sunderland Lodge and Leahurst on Sunderland Street. In the
1930s, the latter was the home of the Archdeacon of Doncaster,
the Venerable Folliott George Sandford, former Vicar of St
George’s Church, who, at the time, was the Vicar of the
neighbouring parish of Stainton with Hellaby.
A history, directory and gazetteer of the
County of York. Vol.1. West Riding.1822.
Beastall, Tom, Portrait
of an English parish church: St Mary the Virgin, Tickhill.
Waterdale Press. 1993.
Tickhill: portrait of an English country town. Waterdale
University Alumni, 1261-1900, [at] www.ancestry.com
Department of the
Environment, Schedule of Listed Buildings:
Chronicle: various references
English Heritage, Listed buildings
on-line [at] www.heritagegateway.org.uk
Joseph, South Yorkshire,
Vol 1. 1828.
Directories of the West Riding of
John, The Doncaster District: an archaeological survey.
Museum & Arts Service Publication. 1977.
Survey Maps: 1854, 1894, 1901 (Godfrey ed.), 1929, 1931, 1956,
University Alumni 1500-1900, [at] www.ancestry.com
Yorkshire Archaeology Service, A review of archaeology in
South Yorkshire 1992-93.
Enclosure Award & Map 1766
Award & Map 1848
History of the Counties of England,
University of London, Institute of Historical Research. (1912).
A history, gazetteer and
directory of the West Riding of Yorkshire. Vol.1. 1837.
Tickhill Friary [from] Yorkshire Life Illustrated, March